BAPD: Man arrested after walking into store wearing tactical vest, carrying rifle

BROKEN ARROW, Okla. — The Broken Arrow Police Department released a statement clarifying their interactions with Zachary Morrissey on June 13.

On June 13, 2022 at 11:52AM a Broken Arrow city employee called 911 to report witnessing someone who they believed to be armed approaching the Broken Arrow Justice Center. Witnesses state Morrissey was at the jail on legitimate business. However, when police showed up, Morrisey was unarmed and he was not breaking the law. At no time did he attempt to enter the building with any kind of gun. We have attached a photo where Morrissey can be seen unarmed standing outside the Broken Arrow Justice Center. He properly secured his fire arms in the trunk of the vehicle that he arrived in prior to approaching the building.

At 11:58AM Responding officers arrived and interacted with Mr. Morrissey. Mr. Morrissey was interacting with Jail Staff via intercom prior to police arrival and was cooperative with responding officers. He left the area without further incident and had committed no crime.

For reasons unknown to us, Morrissey’s driver chose to leave him at 9th and Hillside Drive. At this point he was armed with what appeared to be an AR-15 style rifle and was visibly carrying a revolver in a holster.

At 12:46PM Mr. Morrissey walked towards the Target store located near 1100 East Hillside Drive. Broken Arrow Police received calls about a man with a gun headed towards Target. A different set of BAPD officers contacted Mr. Morrissey near the entrance doors to Target. He was again cooperative and officers determined that he was not breaking the law. There were no reports of him attempting to enter Target. Officers warned Mr. Morrissey that his presence would inevitably lead to more calls. No crime had occurred. One photo showing Morrissey sitting in front of Target with the AR-15 style rifle slung and a separate photo of Morrissey walking through the parking lot after leaving the Target, having committed no crime. While this might be unusual to witness, Morrissey was not breaking any law.

Mr. Morrissey then walked over to a nearby AT&T store. He entered the store with his rifle and the holstered revolver mentioned above. His attire and armed presence led to a series of 911 calls. Between initial contact with Morrissey at the Justice Center and final contact with him at AT&T, we were able to confirm the existence of a newly entered misdemeanor warrant from that morning. Mr. Morrissey was arrested for the warrant just before 1:30PM. During this arrest, officers discovered Morrissey was further armed with a set of metal knuckles (against state and city law) and that he also had a .50 caliber semi-automatic pistol concealed in one of his pouches and not in a holster. State weapon laws limit lawful possession beyond .45 caliber. The metal knuckles and large caliber pistol were what led to additional weapon charges.

AT&T store management tells us they do not have a “no firearms allowed” sign on the door. Mr. Morrissey’s open carrying of firearms within the business was not against the law.

Charges for metal knuckles and unlawful carrying of a firearm will be presented to the Tulsa County District Attorney. The unlawfully carrying of a firearm case is in connection with the .50 caliber pistol and the manner in which it was possessed.

Broken Arrow police arrested Zachary James Morrissey after he allegedly walked into an AT&T store wearing a tactical vest and carrying an AR-15 style rifle.

It happened near East Hillside Drive, off the Broken Arrow Expressway.

Witnesses told police that Morrissey walked by two stores before entering AT&T. Morrissey reportedly told police he was trying to make a purchase.

Before he walked into AT&T, police say the man tried to walk into the Broken Arrow Courthouse but was stopped by city employees.

He told officers that he was trying to “obtain property he had left behind after getting out of jail this weekend.” Broken Arrow Police stopped him at the courthouse, but they let him go despite having warrants.

A family member picked him up from the courthouse and then dropped him off near 9th and Hillside before walking into AT&T.

AT&T employees ran out of the store and no one was hurt. Morrissey was arrested in connection to a previous warrant and faces an additional charge of carrying a concealed weapon.

RELATED>>>Broken Arrow police seize multiple guns during home search, arrest made