TULSA, Okla. — Local experts are warning people about Halloween season being a popular season for head lice.
Jessie Foley, Director of Lice Clinics of America in midtown Tulsa said it takes only three seconds for one bug to be transferred from person to person.
She said August is the clinic's busiest month due to students headed back to school, but they tend to see a spike in business around Halloween.
The lice bugs can live up to 48 hours on plush material like hats, wigs, and costume masks. Foley is warning people against trying on plush masks or wigs for Halloween costumes.
Treatments at Lice Clinics of America cost $175 and take 90 minutes to complete. They say the treatment is 99.2 to 100 percent effective in dehydrating and killing live lice and eggs.
- Indiana dad warns parents about mold in Capri Sun pouches
- Sign up for free FOX23 Newsletters
- Halloween: Some towns ban teens from trick-or-treating
- FOLLOW FOX23 on Facebook for updates in your news feed
- Mexican couple found pushing baby stroller full of body parts
- DOWNLOAD the FOX23 News app for updates sent to your phone.
© 2019 Cox Media Group