BIXBY, Okla. - Bixby is testing out a new vegetation management pilot program by bringing goats to Lake Bixhoma.
Rather than relying on a traditional landscaping crew, Bixby is using the goats to clear the grass and other vegetation along the banks of the lake.
The city installed fencing and cattle guards to keep the goats in a designated area. They also brought in several donkeys to keep a watchful eye on the animals.
Officials said the idea for the goats started at a recent City Council meeting.
The city also installed a shed to provide shelter for the goats during bad weather.
FOX23 learned Oklahoma City also uses goats for vegetation management.
- Police: Pregnant woman shot in east Tulsa
- Sign up for free FOX23 Newsletters
- Felicity Huffman, 13 others to plead guilty in college admissions bribery scheme
- FOLLOW FOX23 on Facebook for updates in your news feed
- NCAA championship 2019: Virginia beats Texas Tech in OT to win national title
- DOWNLOAD the FOX23 News app for updates sent to your phone
© 2019 Cox Media Group.