TULSA, Okla. - Quick Facts:
- I-44 was closed in both directions between Harvard and Peoria due to an officer-involved shooting on Friday, police said.
- Two people were shot by the suspect. They have non-life-threatening injuries.
- The suspect crossed I-44 on the south side and was pursued by police.
- An officer fatally shot the suspect. Police said the suspect is dead.
- On Monday, police identified the suspect as 25-year-old Derrec Shaw.
- On May 21, police released body cam video of the shooting. Watch it here and read through the story for background.
- DOWNLOAD the FOX23 News app for updates sent to your phone.
Police have identified a man who they said shot two people in midtown Tulsa Friday night and was then fatally shot by police as 25-year-old Derrec Shaw.
Saturday, investigators announced the incident first started in a neighborhood near 49th and Rockford around 7 p.m. Neighbors say the suspect threatened people with a gun before going to businesses.
Investigators told FOX23 that Shaw shot the a man standing outside of CiCi's Pizza talking on the phone then shot a customer walking out of China Wok just before 7 p.m.
Restaurant employees told FOX23 the suspect was never able to get inside the restaurant because a manager noticed him through glass window first with the gun acting weird so he locked the door. Shaw tried to get in but couldn’t because the door was locked so he then shot a customer outside the store who had gone to get something from his car.
Cici's released a statement on the incident:
“We commend our manager, Mark Jimenez, for his fast action in securing the restaurant before the gunman could enter and for assisting the injured victim, who was shot outside. We are grateful no one was more seriously hurt and that the police were able to quickly get the situation under control.”
The two victims suffered non-life-threatening injuries. One was hit in the arm and the other on the chin.
Shaw then ran to Peoria Inn and pointed a gun and threatened people, according to police.
Police say when they arrived on scene, they observed a man pointing a revolver at vehicles passing by. Tulsa police say Shaw attempted to car jack at least two vehicles and pointed his weapon at multiple victims.
An officer chased the suspect, who ran across I-44. TPD told FOX23 that the officer fired one round from his patrol rifle that fatally struck Shaw.
WARNING: This police body cam video contains content that some may find disturbing. Viewer discretion is advised.
An unnamed witness told FOX23 what he saw leading up to the shooting:
He says he stopped his car which kinda cleared the path for the officer to shoot. He says it happened fast. He stopped as the suspect ran in front of him holding a gun, he saw the suspect stopping cars to cross the other side of the street. He said right as the suspect got to the opposite shoulder to his left, the officer showed up at the shoulder on his right and shot the suspect across all lanes of the highway, shoulder to shoulder. The witness says he’s glad he stopped or he could have been in the crossfire because it happened so fast.
Police continue to investigate.
WATCH the entire police briefing here:
Police closed I-44 in both directions for one mile near Peoria.
Peoria was also closed.
FOX23 has been following this story since Friday and will continue to update this story as more information is released.
- Oklahoma governor, Senate near deal on teacher pay raise
- Sign up for free FOX23 Newsletters
- Couple dies from plague after eating raw marmot meat as folk remedy
- FOLLOW FOX23 on Facebook for updates in your news feed
- Global helium shortage deflates Party City; 45 stores to close
- DOWNLOAD the FOX23 News app for updates sent to your phone
© 2019 Cox Media Group.