TULSA, Okla. - Quick Facts:
- Several hundred volunteers celebrated MLK Jr. Day by volunteering at Hale Junior High in east Tulsa.
- It's all part of City Year's "Day On for Service".
- Volunteers with City Year, along with teachers and students painted murals and built benches at the school.
- City Year says it's part of their mission to give back to the community and empower students, and it's the 6th year for the event in Tulsa.
- City Year in an educational nonprofit that works in 10 Tulsa schools, helping 5,500 students with mentoring and tutoring services.
- The volunteers say they hope the murals help inspire the students with positive messages.
- 5-year-old girl abducted, assaulted outside elementary school to lure sister into fight
- Sign up for free FOX23 Newsletters
- Honor student suspended for unintentionally using counterfeit money in school lunch line
- FOLLOW FOX23 on Facebook for updates in your news feed
- Police seek volunteers to get drunk, take sobriety tests for officer training
© 2019 Cox Media Group.