MAYES COUNTY, Okla. - Quick facts:
- Officials confirm someone found an octopus in Grand Lake.
- The find came Sunday on the heels of area storms that left extensive damage.
- Officials say they were able to explain why the sea creature was in the lake.
Many have heard of a mysterious octopus lurking in Oklahoma lakes, but few can claim to have actually seen such a creature in area waters.
Officials confirmed Wednesday that a local lake-goer, however, found an octopus in Oklahoma’s Grand Lake.
Sunday, as much of Green Country cleaned up from storm damage, lake officials opened an investigation of their own after they received a call concerning the eight-legged sea creature in Mayes County.
Trending Stories on FOX23.com
- Stillwater police investigate deadly shooting downtown
- Warning: Don't put your feet on the car dashboard
- Police: Mom abandons 10-year-old son with special needs in woods
- Video shows jogger push woman in front of bus
- See more trending stories on the FOX23 Facebook page
According to the Grand River Dam Authority, though, the octopus was part of a seafood buffet at the nearby Yacht Club.
Someone reportedly threw it into the water as part of a joke, where the lake-goer later spotted it.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.