TULSA, Okla. - Tulsa’s brand-new Gathering Place park is open.
The Gathering Place is the work of the George Kaiser Family Foundation. Construction on the multimillion-dollar park began in 2014. It will feature a huge playground, a skate park, a concert space, a pond for boating, a water park and much more.
WATCH: A look inside the Gathering Place:
FOX23's Chief Meteorologist James Aydelott checked out the park and tried the zip line:
Gathering Place officials and police laid out a plan for security with the hiring of about 20 unarmed guards and are putting together plans for keeping the park safe.
Tulsa's Gathering Place: A Timeline
In early 2018, part of the playground opened for school field trips. Check out photos here.
Phase one of the park will open Sept. 8, 2018, with a concert by The Roots, followed by 100 days of celebration.
The long-awaited opening of Riverside Drive will happen on Sept. 10.
- Police investigating armed robberies at two north Tulsa donut shops
- J.C. Penney to fill void of closed Babies R Us, open 500 children's clothing shops
- 2 Miami Dolphins kneel during national anthem in NFL preseason opener
- Sign up for free FOX23 Newsletters
- FOLLOW FOX23 on Facebook for updates in your news feed
- Rumor: Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte to be released earlier than usual
- DOWNLOAD the FOX23 News app for breaking news alerts sent to your phone.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.