Panicking a little about the infamous “holiday” of Friday the 13th?
Arm yourself against friggatriskaidekaphobia (the fear of Friday the 13th) with a little knowledge!
VIDEO: 13 things you didn’t know about Friday the 13th
So what’s so unlucky about 13?
- Unlucky dates: Pope John Paul II was shot and nearly died on May 13, 1981. An English 13-year-old was struck by lightning at 13:13 on a Friday the 13th.
- A common belief is that Judas was the 13th person to take his place at the last supper, and Jesus was crucified on a Friday.
- Friday was a traditional day for public hangings, with 13 steps to the gallows.
- 13 is the card of “death” in Tarot.
Has it ever been lucky?
- A baker’s dozen means you get 13 of something, though sometimes it is referenced as a Devil’s Dozen.
- Bus 13 in London was never damaged during the blitz of WWII.
- Several Hall of Famers wore 13 on their jerseys
- There are 13 stripes on the US Flag and 13 stars on the Great Seal of the US.
It’s not clear exactly when Friday the 13th became associated with bad luck, but studies show more than 20 million Americans fear it.
According to legend, you should not change your bedsheets on Friday the 13th, or you will have bad dreams.
Trending Stories on FOX23.com:
- Arby's expands sale of deer meat sandwich, tests elk meat
- Man found shot to death in north Tulsa
- 62 shopping malls to close for Thanksgiving 2017
- White restaurant manager charged with enslaving black cook
- See more trending stories on FOX23.com
© 2018 Cox Media Group.