TULSA, Okla. - Quick Facts:
- Free flu shots available at Tulsa Health Department immunization clinics
- Shots available while supplies last
- Flu is reaching record numbers in Oklahoma
- For more information visit www.tulsa-health.org.
The Tulsa Health Department is offering free flu shots in all immunization clinic locations, while supplies last.
Health officials encourage everyone age six months and older to receive a flu shot. The more people who get vaccinated, the more people will be protected from flu – including older people, very young children, pregnant women, and people with certain long-term health conditions who are more vulnerable to serious flu complications.
“The flu season can run as late as May, which means that it’s not too late to receive a vaccine to protect yourself,” said THD Division Chief of Preventive Health Priscilla Haynes. “Since September, there have been 748 influenza-associated hospitalizations and 23 deaths in Tulsa County. Prevention measures like the flu shot are critical to protect community residents from the virus. The flu vaccine can keep you from getting the flu, make the illness less severe if you do get it, and keep you from spreading the virus to family and other people.”
In addition to getting your flu shot, the Tulsa Health Department reminds you to follow these prevention tips:
· Frequent hand washing using soap and water, or alcohol-based products such as hand gels when hands are not visibly soiled.
· Make “respiratory hygiene” a habit, including use of tissues to cover coughs and sneezes, then disposing of them and washing hands at once. When tissues are not readily available, use your sleeve, never your hands.
· Stay home from work, school, and other public places if you are ill. Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
The flu vaccine is available for anyone over the age of six months on a walk-in basis Mondays through Thursdays from 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. and Fridays from 8:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. at the following Tulsa Health Department locations.
· James O. Goodwin Health Center | 5051 S. 129 E. Ave., Tulsa, OK
· Central Regional Health Center | 315 S. Utica, Tulsa, OK
· North Regional Health and Wellness Center | 5635 N. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., Tulsa OK
The flu vaccine is also offered at these locations, please call 918-582-9355 for clinic dates and times:
· Collinsville Community Health Center | 1201 W. Center, Collinsville, OK
· Sand Springs Health Center | 306 E. Broadway, Sand Springs, OK
For more information please call 918-582-9355 or visit www.tulsa-health.org.
© 2018 Cox Media Group.