- Medical experts say strep can trigger brain inflammation called PANDAS.
- Experts say as many as 1 in 200 kids can be affected.
- Treatment can include low-dose daily antibiotics, steroids, drugs like Zoloft, to manage anxiety, and in extreme cases, IVIG (Intravenous Immunoglobulin), to boost the immune system.
- Doctors first diagnosed PANDAS in the 1990s.
- An Oklahoma University researcher, Dr. Madeleine Cunningham, developed the only blood test for PANDAS, known as the Cunningham Panel, in 2013.
- WATCH FOX23 Michelle Linn's full investigation about what parents need to know above
Cox Media Group