TULSA, Okla. - Quick facts:
- Deonte Green, 16, is accused in a deadly crime spree in Tulsa.
- His family says he suffers from mental illness.
- They say they are struggling to believe he committed the crimes.
The family of a teen accused of kidnapping, robbery, rape and murder say they are struggling to believe he committed the crimes.
Deonte Green’s family says they are trying to come to terms with the accusations that 16-year-old faces.
Green was arrested over the weekend after police say he went on a violent crime spree.
Green’s mother, Ebony Brown, says her son suffers from schizophrenia and depression, and because of that, it’s hard for her to believe her son was capable of these crimes.
She says he has been taking the medications escitalopram, which is used to treat anxiety and depression, and clonidine, which is used to treat ADHD.
Brown says if her son committed these crimes, she believes it was a result of his mental condition.
She says he’s in the special education program at Union High School.
Brown also states that because of his mental state he is easily influenced by others, she believes the teens he would hang out with might have pressured him into committing these crimes.
Brown says she’s sorry the victims are having to deal with the crimes.
Trending on FOX23:
- Las Vegas shooting: At least 59 dead, live updates
- Tulsa County Sheriff's Office talks fair safety after Las Vegas shooting
- Las Vegas shooting: Remembering the victims
- Rocker Tom Petty dies at age 66, manager says
© 2019 Cox Media Group.