TULSA, Okla. — Quick Facts:
- Tulsa Public Schools is suggesting the closure or consolidation of four of its elementary schools amid an upcoming budget redesign.
- District officials confirmed that Mark Twain, Jones, Wright, and Grimes elementary schools are being recommended to close.
- Memorial, Central and Rogers junior high schools also being recommended to become 6th-8th grade middle schools.
- The proposed changes would begin with the 2020-2021 school year.
- Superintendent Deborah Gist plans to make the recommendations to the school board in January.
- Gist held a press conference Wednesday to talk in more detail about the proposal.
- She said closing the schools will save $2-$3 million per year.
- This is a developing story. Check back for more details.
- DOWNLOAD the FOX23 News app for updates sent to your phone
FOX23 obtained this letter sent to district staff Tuesday:
© 2019 Cox Media Group