TULSA, Okla. - Quick Facts:
- After nine hours of deliberation the jury returned with a mistrial
- FOX23 reporters in the courtroom learned the jury was deadlocked at 11 to 1
- They did find Shannon Kepler guilty of two counts of reckless conduct with a firearm
- Earlier this week Kepler took the stand in his defense
- Kepler is charged with the shooting death of Jeremey Lake in 2014
- Earlier this week the trial had a slight delay over questions about alleged comments a juror made
- The jury began deliberating Thursday afternoon
- Kepler will be sentenced on the other two charges on Monday
The jury in the trial of a former Tulsa police officer accused of murder were too deadlocked to reach a verdict.
The defense rested Wednesday afternoon. Jury deliberation began Thursday.
The jury said they were stuck at an 11-1 decision Thursday night, and a judge told them to keep trying to reach a verdict, but they were too deadlocked.
Kepler's attorney, Richard O'Carroll, told FOX23, "I believe this jury did an honest job, they worked very hard and you’ve got to respect that. And I do. And whoever those jurors are who sided with Mr. Kepler, he thanks them. We think it’s a victory to get two counts that carry life sentences reduced to misdemeanors.”
He also said he thinks the decision to try Kepler was based on political motivations, not law.
Tulsa County DA Steve Kunzweiler told FOX23, “I would say that’s offensive. That’s patently offensive. To try and suggest that a prosecutor such as Mr. Gray or anybody working in my office is doing something for some kind of political purpose.”
The DA said the murder charge will be re-tried.
Kepler was found guilty on two charges about conduct with a firearm. The jury recommended six months on each charge. Kepler will be sentenced on Monday.
FOX23 has been following the investigation into Jeremey Lake's death since it happened:
Trending Now on FOX23:
- Mistrial on murder charge for former Tulsa officer
- Veterans parade planned for Tulsa
- Cool down, then a warm up in Green Country
- Dealing with the rising costs of insulin
© 2018 Cox Media Group.