• Family warns of the dangers of button batteries after child's death

    By: Katie Higgins

    Updated:

    TULSA, Okla. - Quick Facts:

    • 2-year-old Brianna Florer died in December after swallowing a button battery
    • Her family is working  hard to prevent this from happening to any other children

    A memorial was held Thursday night for a two-year-old who died after swallowing a button battery in December.

    The family is still grieving but they won’t let that stop them from trying to prevent this tragedy from happening to anyone else.

    Brianna Florer died on December 28 just six days after swallowing the battery.

    The family spent Thursday handing out pamphlets, selling T-shirts and warning as many people as possible about the risk that could be in their home.

    Reports show that at least 3,000 children swallow button batteries every year. Many times they come from their own toys.

    FOX23 reached out to battery manufacturers to find out what is being done to make the safer, but none of the calls were returned.

    Next Up: