OKLAHOMA CITY - Quick Facts:
- The Oklahoma Department of Corrections initiated a hiring freeze
- The department cited "uncertainty over Fiscal Year 2018 budget cuts after the failure of this week’s Step Up Oklahoma proposal"
- The freeze effects all positions except correctional officers, food service, maintenance and anyone with an offer already issued
“Nearly 90 percent of our budget falls into four categories,” Director Joe Allbaugh said. “That does not leave much wiggle room, and we can’t just close the Department of Corrections to save money. Therefore, I have put this agency on a hiring freeze until uncertainty with the Fiscal Year 2018 budget – a year which is more than half over - gets resolved.”
Trending Now on FOX23
- Solar storm on track for Earth after solar flares erupt on sun, NASA warns
- Trending stories and breaking news with FOX23 News on Facebook
- Three face federal charges in connection to Pryor woman's overdose death
- School under fire for rule telling students they can't say 'no' when asked to dance
- Restaurant accused of serving man 17 shots before deadly Interstate crash
© 2018 Cox Media Group.