Rev is an online transcription and caption service that connects customers with at-home freelancers who claim and complete projects.
The best way to earn extra money with Rev is by applying to be a freelancer. According to the website…
The job entails listening to audio or video files and accurately typing what you hear. That does mean that you'll need to have a strong understanding of the English language as well as grammar.
If you meet those requirements, then you'll only need a computer (with audio) and a reliable internet connection to get started. The software, style guides and an online community of support are all available in your browser.
In order to earn money as a freelancer at Rev, you'll need to apply to either be a transcriptionist or a captioner. According to the website, here's what you can expect from each role:
- Listen to audio and video
- Accurately type what is being said
- Label speakers
- Earn $0.30-$1.10 per audio/video minute
- Watch video
- Accurately type what is being said and creatively convey sounds
- Sync typed audio with video
- Earn $0.54-$1.10 per audio/video minute
If you can speak a foreign language fluently, you can also sign up to translate subtitles for $1.50-$3.00 per audio/video minute.
To get started, you'll need to apply online. Expect to spend at least an hour on the application. Once you've signed up to be a freelancer, here's what's next:
- You'll be asked to take a quiz that demonstrates your English language and grammar skills.
- You'll submit a transcription or caption sample, which will be reviewed to ensure it meets customer quality expectations.
- Lastly, if you're approved, you'll be able to register and start earning right away. When I applied to be a captioner, I was approved the next day.
According to Rev, freelancers have the potential to earn between $30 and $750 monthly. In my experience, earning an average of $400/month is completely possible by working around 15 hours a week.
Depending on the job you apply for and the projects you claim, you can expect to make anywhere from $0.30 to $1.10 per audio/video minute as a transcriptionist or captioner at Rev. However, the time it takes to complete an audio/video minute will vary depending on the difficulty of the project and your typing speed.
Your earnings accumulate throughout the week (Sunday through Saturday). You can expect a deposit into your PayPal account the following Monday.
If you have a computer and a reliable internet connection, it never hurts to sign up and complete the sample project to see if it's something you'd be interested in pursuing.
How do you earn extra money throughout the year? Let us know in the comments below!