CLAREMORE, Okla. - UPDATE 2/28/19: Andy the deer was put down after severely injuring his leg while trying to escape vet technicians, according to Wild Heart Ranch.
A ranch in Claremore is recreating a classic Disney relationship while helping animals recover from serious injuries.
Wild Heart Ranch says it has a real life "Bambi and Thumper" in two of their animals being treated together; Scooter the rabbit and Andy the deer.
Scooter is partially paralyzed in his leg and was once in a wheelchair due to the severity of his condition. Andy is recovering from a severe hoof injury.
Scooter got to Wild Heart Ranch about a year ago and the ranch says he has formed a relationship with several of the wild deer who pass through. They say he helps calm the deer -- making it much easier for the staff to treat them, apply bandages and give them food.
The ranch says -- unlike most animals -- Scooter is not afraid of the deer, and loves kissing them, cuddling with them, and being near them as much as he can be.
Andy will leave the ranch once he recovers, but Scooter is now a permanent therapy volunteer.
FOX23's Preston Jones visited the adorable duo at Wild Heart Ranch:
- FDA chief: Feds might step in if states don't strengthen vaccine laws
- Sign up for free FOX23 Newsletters
- ‘Empire’ actor Jussie Smollett turns self in on felony disorderly conduct charge
- FOLLOW FOX23 on Facebook for updates in your news feed
- Tulsa police arrest mother accused of child abuse murder
- DOWNLOAD the FOX23 News app for updates sent to your phone.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.