- A fourth grade student at Hall Halsell Elementary School died
- FOX23 learned the child sat to rest with classmates Monday during P.E. class when she became unresponsive
- The principal performed CPR until medics arrived
- The superintendent told FOX23 it was a freak accident, and that the child was in otherwise good health
- The school brought counselors Tuesday to help students and staff
- The school's Parent-Teacher Organization decided to send proceeds from a Bingo for Books event to her family to support them
A Vinita child died after a game of basketball in gym class.
Vinita Public Schools superintendent Kelly Grimmett said the child played for about 5 minutes when she went to rest with others.
When it was time for her to play again, Grimmett says she began "having issues." The instructor called 9-1-1 and the front office.
She was breathing at the time, but became unresponsive when the principal arrived.
The principal performed CPR until medics arrived, rushing her to the hospital. They hoped to fly her to Tulsa for more intensive care, but she died in the hospital.
Grimmett says the child was in good health with no known issues. She called the situation a freak accident.
The Cherokee Nation Crisis Team came to the school Tuesday to help school and outside counselors as students and staff process what happened.
The district has no answers yet on why the child died. No information on services has been released.
The school's parent-teacher organization decided to direct some proceeds from their Books for Bingo event to support the family.
Vinita Public Schools shared this message from the organization:
"Our community once again is hurting tonight! But, our community is also strong and we pull together no matter the need! Our event tomorrow night will go on as planned but we will be donating part of our proceeds back to the little girls family as a way to help and support them during this time of need! Millie walked the halls at Hall Halsell for 4 years just as our tiny Hornets do today and her sweet smile will be remembered tomorrow night in a big way! Please share and live generously."
© 2018 Cox Media Group.