CATOOSA, Okla. — Quick Facts:
- Catoosa Animal Control staff is warning pet owners about a toxic blue-green algae present in Oklahoma bodies of water.
- The algae is primarily active now with recent hot summer temperatures paired with rain that keeps it around longer.
- Officials said pets can die of respiratory failure within 15 minutes of touching the algae.
- There have been instances across the country, including North Carolina and Georgia, of dogs dying due to exposure.
- Signs of exposure to watch out for includes panting, stumbling and blue gums.
- Officials recommend keeping a small pool for dogs rather than letting them swim in ponds or lakes.
© 2020 Cox Media Group