BROKEN ARROW, Okla. — Broken Arrow's Rose District is one of America's top 50 main streets, according to USA Today.
City officials said they didn’t apply for their place on the list or know it was coming. They said they learned about it when the article was published Monday morning.
The city has put millions of dollars into the effort to develop the Rose District over the past decade, and officials said the investment is paying off.
The Rose District generated $11,000 in sales taxes five years ago, according to the city mayor. In 2017, it generated $400,000. Officials said the success of the Rose District also helps generate jobs and recruit new companies to the area.
The Rose District will continue to grow, and officials say a new, mixed-use development building is on tap for later on in 2018.
City officials said they’re extremely proud to be a part of their place on the list, and they hope it will generate more tourism and interest in the area.
- Oklahoma Senate committee approves bill requiring 'In God We Trust' in public classrooms
- Join the conversation- 'Like' FOX23 News on Facebook
- Riverside construction could slow commutes for area drivers
- Breaking News, Weather and Traffic on your mobile device- FREE DOWNLOAD
- Midtown Tulsa Starbucks to reopen months after tornado
© 2020 Cox Media Group