BROKEN ARROW, Okla. - Quick Facts:
- Broken Arrow police have arrested 18-year-old Hayden Umdenstock in connection to the death of his father Zachary Friday.
- Officers found Zachary dead when they went to the house near Kenosha and Elm for a welfare check.
- Court documents confirm Hayden admitted to killing his father after they got into a fight in their garage.
- Prosecutors filed first-degree murder charges against Hayden Dec. 12.
Broken Arrow police are investigating the death of 42-year-old Zachary Umdenstock Friday.
Officers were called to do a welfare check on Zachary after his sister found dried blood on the front door.
When officers arrived at the home near Kenosha and Elm, they found blood stains at the front door and later found Hayden Umdenstock sitting on the back porch smoking. Hayden initially told officers he didn't know where his dad was, but later let them in the house.
Officers said they found Zachary's body in a bedroom covered with blankets. Police found blood on the bedroom door and when they asked Umdenstock about it, he replied, “Me and my dad got in a fight…Yeah, he’s dead in there”, according to court documents. Hayden then admitted to killing his father.
When police asked him what happened, he told them he and his dad had gotten into a fight in the garage and then he killed him in his sleep, according to officials.
The medical examiner's report is not complete yet.
Prosecutors filed first-degree murder charges against Hayden Dec. 12. He will be held without bond until his preliminary hearing on Jan. 31.
This is a developing story. Check back for updates.
- Kevin Hart steps down as Oscars host over previous anti-gay tweets
- Sign up for free FOX23 Newsletters
- Ohio father makes daughter walk 5 miles to school to teach lesson about bullying
- FOLLOW FOX23 on Facebook for updates in your news feed
- White House Chief of Staff John Kelly expected to resign
- DOWNLOAD the FOX23 News app for updates sent to your phone.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.