Mixon was suspended for a year after his assault on Oklahoma student Amelia Molitor. He said at a news conference he wanted to apologize earlier, but his legal team advised him not to.
Mixon said it is never acceptable to hit a woman and if he were in the same situation again he would walk away. He said he was disappointed he let down his team and family, especially his mother.
Trending Stories on FOX.com
- Deputies save person from burning car after Creek County crash
- Stranger leaves note to shame Tulsa mother over handicapped parking spot
- Florida woman awakens to dead newborn in bed for second time
- 5 malnourished children found living in car at Walmart, deputies say
- OHP recovers fire trucks stolen from Oklahoma departments
His legal advisers released video of the punch last week. Since then there has been a backlash against Mixon, Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops and the university. Stoops said Wednesday that if such an attack had happened today, Mixon would be off the team.
Oklahoma plays Auburn in the Sugar Bowl on Jan. 2.
Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.