by: Sara Whaley, Naomi Keitt Updated:
TULSA, Okla. - Quick facts:
- A woman dropped off a 2-year-old with traumatic head injuries at Hillcrest
- The child went to St. Francis; he died late Tuesday night
- The woman turned herself in, identified as Dominick Smith; She faces child abuse murder charges
- The child’s mother, Keyshawn Brown and a man named Johnnie Jones are also with police
- FOX23 will update this story as the investigation continues
- Download the FOX23 News app for breaking news updates sent to your phone
Police named three people possibly involved in the death of a Tulsa toddler.
Monday afternoon, a woman later identified as Dominick Smith dropped off the 2-year-old at Hillcrest Hospital. The toddler had massive head injuries and doctors put him on life support at St. Francis.
He was later identified as King Owen.
Police began searching for Smith, who turned herself in around 7 p.m. after seeing herself on the news.
Trending Now on FOX23.com
- Toddler dies in Tulsa child neglect case
- Puppy survives after siblings are shot and killed in Osage County
- Tulsa woman sentenced to 10 years in prison after child sex trafficking conviction
- Murder suspect to police: I robbed a place 4 hours after release
- Police: Mom let 2-year-old handle gun before fatal shooting
Investigators believe she and Johnnie Jones were caring for the child when the abuse happened.
At 10:30 p.m., police arrested her on child abuse and neglect complaints.
Police arrested the toddler’s mother, Keyshawn Brown, for child neglect. They say she knowingly left her child in an unsafe environment for several days.
Officers later found Jones, bringing him in for questioning. Police arrested Jones Tuesday morning.
According to arrest reports, Brown gave her son to Smith and her boyfriend three weeks ago; Smith said Brown did not want him anymore.
Officers say she knew of Smith's boyfriend's arrest history and neglected her son by failing to provide adequate supervision.
Smith said the boy drank sleep medicine around 3 a.m. Monday and began foaming at the mouth.
She claimed she drove him to the hospital, but didn't go inside at first, fearing arrest.
She returned to her apartment, but the child continued to foam at the mouth and was unresponsive.
She wrapped the child in a blanket and took him to the hospital that afternoon.
Owen died just after 11 p.m. Tuesday.
The charges against Smith were upgraded to child abuse murder.
© 2017 Cox Media Group.
Toddler dies in Tulsa child neglect case
Tulsa teachers, supporters hit the road for education funding
Man offers $100,000 reward for information leading to missing Eufaula woman
BOK Center responds after deadly explosion at Manchester Arena
Divers find five cars submerged at the bottom of Nowata County rock quarry