TULSA, Okla. - Quick facts:
- Someone reportedly shot a Tulsa police helicopter.
- A local expert said it will cost tens of thousands of dollars to repair.
- Officers said they have never had a police helicopter damaged by gunfire before.
Tulsa police officials say they believe a bullet caused tens of thousands of dollars worth of damage to one of their helicopters.
They said they noticed the damage in early August during a preflight inspection. Though they aren't completely sure what caused the damage, they do believe it was a bullet.
Officials said they think the helicopter was shot during the evening shift on August 1. The pilot reportedly did not notice any issues at the time.
Officials said they did not know which blade was damaged, and they are not sure how much it will cost to fix or replace.
Helicopter experts, on the other hand, said it could cost around $70,000 to replace the blade.
Police officials said this is the first time this has happened.
They are only running on one helicopter for the time being.
- 3 QuikTrip robberies possibly connected
- Man arrested for arson blaze that decimated California town
- One arrested after Claremore standoff
- Parents charged after starving 7-year-old tries to sell teddy bear for food
- Suspected copper thief arrested for targeting highway street lights
© 2018 Cox Media Group.