BURKE COUNTY, N.C. - North Carolina authorities are trying to determine what happened after a toddler was found dead outside a home early Wednesday morning in Burke County.
Police said they were called to the home around 7:45 a.m. and found a 3-year-old boy dead on the porch.
Authorities said that someone driving by the house spotted the child and called 911.
Trending Now on FOX23.com
- Child in need of transplant escorted to hospital by snowplows, National Guard during storm
- 'Dirty Dozen': Strawberries, spinach top list of produce with most pesticides
- Oklahoma legislator reportedly found with teen boy in Moore motel room
- Man in custody after baby found with traumatic brain injuries in south Tulsa
- DOWNLOAD the FOX23 News app
- SIGN UP for the FOX23 Newsletter
Investigators think the boy, who had turned three the day before, wandered outside sometime during the night and died after being exposed to the freezing conditions for too long.
Wind-chill values in the High Country were below zero overnight.
Deputies said when they got to the home the front door was open and the mother was still asleep inside, unaware her son had gotten outside.
The name of the child has not been released and deputies closed the road near the home for hours while they and the Department of Social Services investigated.
© 2017 Cox Media Group.