Texas prison inmates donated more than $53,000 from their commissary accounts to help Hurricane Harvey relief efforts.
More than 6,600 inmates contributed money to the American Red Cross from Aug. 31 to Sept. 30, Texas Department of Criminal Justice Jason Clark said.
Commissary money is typically spent on food supplies while they are incarcerated.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Trending Stories on FOX23.com
- Man kills mother's friend for hitting on his imaginary girlfriend, say police
- Homeless Tulsa man reunited with son after years apart
- Las Vegas shooting victim awakens from coma, takes first steps
- Police: Bluetooth can be used to detect card skimmers
- See more trending stories on the FOX23 Facebook page
© 2017 Cox Media Group.