JENKS, Okla. - Quick Facts:
- Construction on a Jenks outlet mall was supposed to start this year.
- Simon Property Group said they are committed to the project but have not given a new timeline for when construction could begin.
- WATCH FOX23 Paris Holmes' full report above.
Plans are still set to build a new outlet mall in Jenks, but the timeline is not as clear as it once was.
Simon Property Group planned to start construction in late 2017 with a targeted opening of June 2018.
As of November 2017, no construction work has begin. FOX23 reached out to the company and officials said they are still committed to the project. Simon Property Group released the following statement:
"Simon is committed to bringing the best in value shopping to the great Tulsa area with Tulsa Premium Outlets. There are many variables that lead to timing decisions of when construction will start. We continue to work towards the milestone. We have a great track record of successful openings with over 90 Premium Outlets worldwide and look forward to the with Tulsa Premium Outlets."
This is not the first delay the project has experienced. FOX23 reported in May 2017 that Simon planned to break ground on a new mall site and be open for the summer.
Jenks won the proposed mall after Tulsa lost the project amid controversy surrounding its originally proposed location near Turkey Mountain.
- Gun ownership among white men linked to economic anxiety, study finds
- Thousands raised for homeless veteran who gave woman his last $20
- Toddler finds snake inside family's toilet
- Matt Lauer fired after allegations of inappropriate workplace behavior
- See more trending stories on FOX23 Facebook page
© 2018 Cox Media Group.