SAPULPA, Okla. - Quick Facts:
- A fire started around 2 a.m. in Sapulpa
- A neighbor woke the mother inside; she escaped with her son
- The cause remains under investigation
A Sapulpa mother and son escaped their burning home thanks to a neighbor's help early Wednesday morning.
The neighbor said he knocked down their door around 2 a.m. as flames engulfed the house.
He was doing laundry when he heard noises outside, looked and saw bright orange.
"It was mayhem," he said.
Firefighters say their smoke detectors did not work.
The mother and son were asleep when the fire started.
The family escaped without injury, but their home and car were destroyed.
Their cat and dog have not yet been found.
Despite bitter temperatures Wednesday morning, firefighters said the weather was not much of an issue as they battled the flames.
FOX23 will hear from the neighbor who saved the family after he has a chance to rest. Check FOX23 News This Morning and this story for updates.
Trending Now on FOX23.com
- School and Business Closing Alerts
- Tulsa crews prepare for water main breaks
- Fish oil may not be as healthy as you think, new study suggests
- Trending stories and breaking news- ‘Like’ FOX23 News on Facebook
- Christie Brinkley reveals Donald Trump tried to pick her up while married to Ivana
© 2018 Cox Media Group.