MUSKOGEE, Okla. - Muskogee city leaders are making progress on plans for a new green space in the downtown area.
The park is set to go in a now-empty lot in the heart of the city's Depot District. It will be near the Three Rivers Museum, Oklahoma Music Hall of Fame and Muskogee Little Theater.
A local foundation paid for designers to create renderings of the park, and city officials plan to apply for a grant to get the project off the ground early next year.
A public hearing will take place next week to discuss the possibility of closing a nearby alleyway and incorporating it into the park.
Nearby business owners told FOX23 they are excited about the plans and hope a park brings more foot traffic downtown.
- Gun ownership among white men linked to economic anxiety, study finds
- Thousands raised for homeless veteran who gave woman his last $20
- Toddler finds snake inside family's toilet
- Matt Lauer fired after allegations of inappropriate workplace behavior
- See more trending stories on FOX23 Facebook page
© 2018 Cox Media Group.