TULSA, Okla. - Quick Facts:
- Leon Russell died in his sleep at the age of 74
- Russell, who grew up in Tulsa, was a rock and roll legend
- Public funeral planned for him in Tulsa and Nashville
A public memorial service was held Sunday for a world-renowned songwriter and performer who called Tulsa home.
The life and work of Leon Russell was honored in a service Sunday afternoon at the Mabee Center in south Tulsa.
The 74-year-old died in his sleep at his home near Nashville.
A funeral service was held Friday afternoon in Tennessee.
In lieu of flowers Russell's family asked that donations be made to Partnership with Native Americans (PWNA), Music Cares or the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.
Trending on FOX23.com:
- Memorial service held for Leon Russell in south Tulsa
- Sabra recalls hummus over listeria concerns
- Second victim dies after Friday night west Tulsa motel shooting
- Pawhuska veteran to walk to North Dakota in protest of Dakota Access Pipeline
- Man adopted as toddler deported to South Korea
© 2017 Cox Media Group.