|Updated: 9/27/2012 10:12 pm
||Published: 9/27/2012 2:54 pm
Firefighters think a child playing with a lighter may have sparked a fire that killed a three-year-old boy.
However, fire marshals will determine the official cause.
The fire burned a mobile home to the ground Wednesday in Delaware County near grand lake.
The Lakemont Shores Fire Department says the flames tore through this home just before midnight Wednesday morning. Four fire departments responded
"It's just that most the people in this area live in mobile homes, said neighbor Jeanette Wood.” When one of them catches fire it's just not too much they can do. They go up too fast."
Firefighters fought the fire for hours. A mother and her two boys were here sleeping when it started. The mother, Jessica Haskins, woke up and grabbed her four-year-old but couldn't get to her three-year-old, Alex. She tried to go back in but the flames were too intense.
"It's very, very tough,” said Wood. I lost a child when she was four years old and that was 40 years ago."
She told FOX23 it's a feeling no parent should have to endure. She knew the Haskins for a decade. The neighbor adds you have to find away to live after the tragedy.
"You never forget. You just go on with your life. You just go on for your other children," she said.
Firefighters believe the fire started in the kitchen near a trash can.
The mother and four year old are staying with a family member.