Union High School lock down lifted after prank call

Story Comments Share

Updated: 3/28/2013 10:43 pm Published: 3/28/2013 2:36 pm

Union High School is no longer in lock down.

Law enforcement officials confirmed a call earlier Thursday afternoon alleging gun shots turned out to be a hoax. The lockdown went into effect around 1:45 p.m. and police searched the building in an abundance of caution to ensure the call was a hoax.

Tulsa County Sheriff’s office tell us a dispatcher got a call from an AT&T operator indicating she received an internet call placed from a person claiming to be a Union Student. The caller gave information suggesting there were two individuals in the building, one with a gun and one with a bomb. The caller indicated they had heard shots and heard a large amount of screaming coming from an area within the school.

Tulsa County Sheriff’s Deputies assigned as School Resource Officers responded to the area within two minutes. Additional Tulsa County Sheriff’s Deputies responded along with numerous Tulsa Police Officers and conducted a complete and thorough search of the Union High School campus determining that the information they had received was false and that there was no threat to Union Students. This search was concluded at 2:14 p.m. 

The internet crimes division is working to trace who made the call.

Union officials sent the following phone message to parents:

This is Union's Executive Director of Communications Gretchen Haas-Bethell calling with an important message. Union High School was in lock down for about an hour this afternoon (Thursday, March 28). A prank caller contacted the school and claimed shots had been fired at the school. Numerous units of the Tulsa Police and Sheriff's Departments immediately arrived, and in an abundance of caution, completed a thorough search of the entire building. Nothing unusual was found.

The lock down went into effect around 1:45 p.m. and ended before 2:30, allowing students to resume classes. Dismissal was planned for the usual time--3:25.

The district appreciates the quick and thorough response of our law enforcement officials and is glad to report students were never in any danger.

Union officials say classes are now back in session and students will be dismissed as usual at 3:25 p.m. There are no plans for increased security tomorrow.

Story Comments Share

0 Comment(s)
Comments: Show | Hide

Here are the most recent story comments.View All

The views expressed here do not necessarily represent those of KOKI FOX23 - Tulsa

No comments yet!
FOX23 Weather Center
Feels Like: 78°
High: 85° | Low: 49°
Mostly Cloudy
Most Popular
Children found living inside meth lab operation;12 arrested
ROGERS COUNTY, Okla. -- Small children were found living in a meth lab operation. Now, a dozen people are behind bars. FOX23's Morgan Downing spoke exclusively with sheriff's investigators about what they found on a rural Rogers County ranch. Video Watch This Video
Top Stories
Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
Mobile advertising for this site is available on Local Ad Buy.