|Updated: 7/10/2013 11:25 pm
||Published: 7/10/2013 10:59 pm
A teen simply trying to check out at a local Walmart found himself in a life-threatening ordeal on Wednesday.
The teen spoke exclusively to FOX23 News. He says he was hit with an electrical shock while at the Sand Springs Walmart off Highway 97 and sent to the emergency room.
"I walk up to press ‘start’ and it zapped me," said Jared Robinson.
His mother says a few minutes later she got a terrifying call from her son.
"He couldn't breathe, he couldn't talk, and he said ‘I’m not going to make it home, I feel like I am going to pass out,’” said Julie Robinson. "He was like (breathes deep) he was frantic," said Julie Robinson.
Jared said he doesn't remember calling his mom and what he said to her on the phone.
"'I touched the screen at the self-checkout and it shocked me and it shocked me bad,'" said Julie Robinson, quoting her son. She responded, "What? You are electrocuted?"
She said she got on the phone with 911.
Paramedics arrived and took him to the hospital. Medical documents show Jared was shocked with electricity and had an arrhythmia.
"I felt it go through my legs," said Jared Robinson. "Like a baseball player hit in the chest with a bat."
He remembers when he checked out at the new self-checkout register and the woman behind him jumped when she saw the electricity.
"It was like a shock wave, like a grenade and stunned," said Jared Robinson.
Once Jared was OK his mother said she got on the phone with someone at Walmart who told her they saw an arc of electricity on surveillance video. That video was not available to FOX23 News.
"'Ma'am your son was shocked,'" said Julie Robinson of the conversation. "'When he touched the machine the spark came out of the screen and we saw it and it blew him back. It shocked him bad,’” Robinson said, quoting the person who spoke with her at Walmart.
She says she was glad to her son is alive and but he says he still doesn't feel right.
"I'm cramping up real bad and need to go to the hospital," said Jared Robinson.
His mother wants other shoppers to be on notice.
"What happens when a kid goes up there or en elderly person with a pacemaker? It could kill them," said Julie Robinson.
FOX23 News went inside and saw the self-checkout registers were roped off. No one from that store could comment.
Walmart representative Ashley Hardy told FOX23 News on the phone, "We're looking into what occurred. We closed the self-checkout registers at the store while it is under investigation. We have been in contact with the family and our thoughts are with him as he recovers."