Tulsa Public Schools and Sodexo Child Nutrition Services present the Farm to Market Day.
Students will experience what grows from the earth in Oklahoma and makes it to their tables.
The goal is to increase dairy, whole wheat and fruit and vegetable consumption by introducing farm fresh produce, a milking experience and fresh whole wheat pancakes.
Students will learn how fruits and vegetables are grown and raised by Oklahoma farmers; where they are grown in Oklahoma and the nutritional value of the foods including Oklahoma’s No. 1 agricultural crop -- wheat.
Featured will be:
- Mobile Dairy Classroom with a live cow and milking demonstration (Southwest Dairy Farmers)
- Oklahoma grown purple asparagus grilling and tasting (Oklahoma Department of Agriculture)
- Whole wheat pancakes for the kids to sample and whole wheat education;
- Betsy the wooden cow for the students to milk
- Students making biodegradable pots and planting a starter vegetable plant from Creekside Plants and Produce to take home.