|Updated: 12/31/2013 2:00 pm
||Published: 12/31/2013 11:26 am
A dozen people are looking for a place to stay after an overnight fire at a midtown apartment complex.
It started just before two Tuesday morning at the Windsor Village apartments near 51st and Darlington Avenue.
A Tulsa Fire Department captain said the flames broke out in one of the bedrooms. TFD said a discarded cigarette caused the fire.
“They were able to get a quick knockdown of the fire, approximately 5 minutes of arrival, they found the second story of that apartment completely destroyed, we believe the fire to be accidental at this time,” said Capt. Kofi Wallace.
FOX23 crews found sparks and flames coming from the roof of the apartment building as smoke poured out for a few minutes.
21 firefighters from six different engines swarmed the building and got the fire out quickly.
There are four units inside that apartment building. The captain said the fire was contained to one unit; two others have smoke and water damage.
No one was hurt, but 9 adults and 3 children from those units are without a home.
The fire captain said the American Red Cross helped those people find a place to stay.