Smoke detector alerted Tulsa family to house fire


Story Comments Share

Updated: 11/04/2013 5:47 pm Published: 11/04/2013 4:06 pm


FOX23 found out more about how a family survived an overnight house fire.

The home near 61st and Sheridan went up in flames around 11:30 Sunday night and burned into Monday morning.

The fire was very damaging and the flames spread quickly.

An 18-year-old was asleep in his room when his sister started screaming that the smoke detector was going off and the house was on fire.

Blankets and family pictures are all Angie Simpson and her family have left.

"All of our photo albums and pictures and quilts that my grandmother and great grandmother made," she said.

The fire was so big that wood could be heard burning from 100 feet away. A neighbor sent FOX23 video of the fire from before firefighters arrived.

"It's scary, very scary. But we were just very lucky," said Simpson.

Angie, her husband and their son were all asleep when their daughter heard the smoke detector going off by the garage.

"My... son went down there and saw there was flames so we came back and ran out of the front door," she said.

Her neighbors did the same thing.

"Everyone came out and neighbors were ringing our door bells telling us to get out. As big of embers that were flying around, it's a miracle nothing else caught on fire," she said.

Firefighters got the flames out but lost the home.

They helped save what they could for the family.

FOX23 cameras were rolling when the family found something that held special meaning for a son.

"This is the only thing Max asked about," Simpson said. It's a baseball glove her son has used for years and hopes to use again to play college baseball.

The fire is still under investigation but the family says investigators believe it could have started in the electrical breaker box in the garage.

Story Comments Share

1 Comment(s)
Comments: Show | Hide

Here are the most recent story comments.View All

The views expressed here do not necessarily represent those of KOKI FOX23 - Tulsa

Mayor Maynot - 11/5/2013 5:10 AM
0 Votes
So I guess they're saying poor home maintenance like neglecting to replace weak fuzes that are probably struggling to keep up with circuit overload. Will homeowners insurance foot the bill for poor maintenance.
FOX23 Weather Center
50°
Feels Like: 48°
High: 80° | Low: 49°
Clear
Top Stories
Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
Mobile advertising for this site is available on Local Ad Buy.