Red Cross helping family after house fire


Story Comments Share

Updated: 4/12/2013 10:32 am Published: 4/12/2013 7:03 am


A fire caused heavy damage to a home in North Tulsa.

It happened shortly after midnight Friday at 47th Place North and Lewis. Firefighters were able to put the fire out fairly quickly, but when crews first arrived on scene, one of the homeowners was trying to put the fire out using a garden hose.

He told fire crews his alarm didn't go off, rather the sound of the fire woke him up, concerning firefighters.

"Don't think that you'll always wake up like these fortunate people did and hear the fire the smoke is very deadly," said Fire Chief Bennie Herring, "It can overtake somebody very quickly. We would much rather find you outside waiting on us, than for us to have to come inside looking for you."

It's uncertain why the smoke alarms didn't alert the family, but the fire chief said it was likely because of dead batteries. He said everyone should check and change smoke detector batteries at least twice a year.

The home wasn't a total loss, but the Red Cross is assisting the family with food and a place to stay.


Story Comments Share

0 Comment(s)
Comments: Show | Hide

Here are the most recent story comments.View All

The views expressed here do not necessarily represent those of KOKI FOX23 - Tulsa

No comments yet!
FOX23 Weather Center
37°
Feels Like: 32°
High: 74° | Low: 37°
Partly Cloudy
Top Stories
Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
Mobile advertising for this site is available on Local Ad Buy.