Southern Living magazine announced this year’s top schools for tailgating in the South and an Oklahoma school is on the list!
The 15 contenders in the second-annual competition are featured in the September issue, hitting newsstands August 23.
“In the South, pre-game celebrations matter as much as what happens on the field,” said Southern Living Editor-in-Chief Lindsay Bierman. “We’re asking readers to decide which school best honors our great tradition of Southern hospitality with the most stylish and spirited spread.”
Fans will ultimately determine the school that hosts “The South’s Best Tailgate.”
Southern Living announces the roster of universities vying for “The South’s Best Tailgate”:
- Appalachian State University: Small conference. Big spirit. Plus, a scenic mountain setting.
- Clemson University: Can the 2012 winner clinch the title once again?
- Florida State University: Palm trees and Florida sunshine. Jealous?
- Louisiana State University: LSU kneauxs how to have fun. Bring on the crawfish!
- Marshall University: The Thundering Herd goes big – and home and away.
- Oklahoma State University: A tailgating crowd that has quadrupled in the past decade.
- Texas A&M University: Johnny Football can play the game. But can he tailgate?
- University of Alabama: No ticket? No problem. Thousands come for the pre-game action.
- University of Georgia: Game day is serious in Athens, and not just between the hedges.
- University of Mississippi:The Grove at Ole Miss finished a close second in our 2012 contest.
- University of Tennessee: Have riverfront stadium, will tailgate – on boats.
- University of Texas: Don’t mess with the Longhorns’ Texas-size tailgates.
- Vanderbilt University: Preppy tailgate central: bow ties, blazers, and pearls.
- Virginia Tech: Hospitality reigns: Away fans always feel welcome.
- West Virginia University: Coonskin caps and crowds in perpetual John Denver sing-along.
Southern Living chose the universities based on the following criteria:
•Most Spirited: Schools that turn “fan” into “fanatic.”
•Traditionalists: Schools renowned for game-day rituals.
•Powerhouses: Southern schools with a history of winning on and off the field (the most bowl victories).
•Style Setters: From sundresses to cake stands, these schools showcase true splendor in the grass.
You can vote for your pick here: southernliving.com/tailgate