|Updated: 12/24/2013 10:18 pm
||Published: 12/24/2013 9:45 pm
A north Tulsa couple will have to stay with family this Christmas Eve because of an electrical fire earlier today.
Ande Sager wasn't even supposed to be home today. She was supposed to be at work. Normally it would be a good thing to be away from a house fire. But in this case it might have saved them from losing much more.
“Thankfully I was off work today or I could have come home to a real disaster,” said Sager.
This afternoon Ande Sager heard a loud popping noise and thought it was something else.
“It sounded like gunfire,” said Sager.
But it was the power lines behind her house popping and cracking from pole to pole, until it reached her house.
“I smelled electrical smoke. I was on the phone with PSO telling them we had a problem out here. That’s when I realized actually my house was starting on fire,” said Sager.
The fire mostly stayed in the walls. Crews were able to get it under control before her house was destroyed.
It's not something anybody wants to deal with on Christmas, but Sager says she's lucky.
“Because I was actually prepared to work today. But thankfully my boss thought it was better that I was with my family,” said Sager.
Sager still isn't sure what kind of damage there is. But she managed not to lose the one thing in her home she couldn't replace.
“I’m glad I was actually here today or I could have lost my prized possession; my dog.”