|Updated: 6/10/2013 12:31 pm
||Published: 6/10/2013 12:16 pm
A midtown fire that engulfed half a home is believed to be accidental.
The call went out just before 5:30 a.m. Monday morning about a house fire near 31st and Harvard.
After investigators looked for clues as to what sparked the fire, spokesman Stan May tells FOX23’s Janai Norman the cause was likely electric and believed to have started in the garage.
Just after 5:30 this morning, neighbors, including Michelle Eckles who lives across the street said they were startled awake.
“We heard booms and we heard little fire crackle sounds,” Eckles said. “We looked out the front window and his house was on fire.”
That’s when the homeowner was awoken by a call from his alarm company, asking if there was an emergency.
Fire Captain Ricky Powell says that when the man “smelled smoke and called 911 and exited the structure.”
Eckles recalled what she saw across the street.
“The entire right side of the house where the garage is was in flames, and then smoke started coming out this side, but it was all fire on the right side.”
The lay out of the home, along with a privacy fence and downed power lines made containing the flames difficult for crews who had to evacuate and fight the fire from the outside.
It was contained within 20 minutes, and although the homeowner made it out safely, his pet dog didn’t.
Fire crews allowed the man to go back inside and salvage what he could—he didn’t want to be interviewed saying he hasn’t fully dealt with the situation just yet, but he tells us he’s thankful for the alarm company that saved his life.