Man applies sunscreen and catches on fire
|Updated: 6/06/2012 9:30 am
||Published: 6/05/2012 10:07 pm
Brett Sigworth of Stow, Massachusetts said his day of fun in the sun went up in flames in seconds.
"All of a sudden it just lit up on fire everywhere."
Brett suffered second degree burns to chest, ear, back and neck.
Brett said Banana Boat Sport Aerosol Sunscreen caught his skin on fire. "Sprayed on the spray on sunscreen, then rubbed it on for a few seconds. Then, I walked over to my grill and took one of the holders to move some of the charcoal briquettes around and all of a sudden it just when up my arm," said Brett.
Medical Director of the Burn Center at Hillcrest Medical Center, Dr. James Johnson, said this might be a summer safety case of what "not to do" when you are near an open flame.
"I use these aerosol sunscreens but I would not spray myself, then go by the grill or light my grill," Dr. Johnson said.
Dr. Johnson said he doesn't believe it is likely the sunscreen caused the fire but likely, the propellants in the aerosol. The propellant is the driving force behind the aerosol.
Brett said the accident never should have happened.
He said there was not a warning on the label that says the product would be flammable after it was applied to the skin. "If people were told this flammable for two minutes on your skin afterwards, people probably wouldn't use it," said Brett.
The warning label on the back of the sunscreen reads: 'Flammable. Don't use near heat, flame or while smoking.'
Banana Boat released a statement saying, quote, "At Banana Boat, we take these matters very seriously and will begin a prompt investigation as we continue to strive to deliver products of the highest quality to our consumers."
Copyright 2012 Newport Television LLC All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.