Severe Thunderstorm Watch expires at 10:00 PM on 4/24, issued at 2:21 PM Afton, OK | Alderson, OK | Arkoma, OK | Blanco, OK

Man accused of killing mother, kidnapping son enters not guilty plea

Story Comments Share

Reported by: Sara Whaley
Updated: 8/28/2013 4:42 pm Published: 8/28/2013 12:12 am

FOX23 learned what it was like for deputies to drive hundreds of miles to bring a murder suspect back to where the crime was committed.

Robert Connor III is accused of killing his mother in Sand Springs and then kidnapping his youngest son, and taking him to Texas. 

He's being held without bond and entered a not guilty plea on Wednesday.

In a story only on FOX23, Sara Whaley talked with the deputy who drove Connor back.

FOX23 was at the Sallyport when Connor arrived Tuesday.

As soon as the vehicle drove through the garage door, Connor was met by deputies and quickly escorted inside the jail.

When we learned Robert Leroy Connor was headed back to Oklahoma, FOX23 made the trip to Pawhuska to get a glimpse of him.

After almost two hours of waiting, the silver Tahoe arrived. Within a minute, Connor was taken inside the jail.

FOX23 sought out the investigator who brought Connor back. Chief criminal investigator Charlie Cartwright said the ride was quiet.

“Mr. Connor didn't discuss facts to the case,” Cartwright told FOX23. “He just acknowledged being in Sand Springs earlier last week."

It was last Tuesday that deputies found Deborah Connor shot to death outside her Sand Springs home.

An amber alert was issued moments later for Robert Connor’s 6 year old son, Declan.

The next day Connor was found at a Texas hotel with Declan, and that’s when he was taken into custody.

He's been cooperating with law enforcement ever since, especially during the trip back to Oklahoma today.

"We had a discussion about our relationship prior to us leaving and he was very cordial. He was polite with me and the investigator who went with me,” Cartwright said.

However, the trip was about more than just bringing Connor back to Oklahoma.

It allowed the Osage County Sheriff’s Office a chance to discuss the case with Lewisville Police Department and recover valuable evidence from them.

Lewisville police arrested Connor after a standoff last Wednesday morning. When they did, they served two search warrants.

One recovered a firearm police deputies think may have been used in the crime, and the other, material that was taken from the victim’s home.

Deputies brought all evidence back to Oklahoma to prepare for court.

Deputies expect Connor will be in court for his arraignment sometime Wednesday afternoon.

Story Comments Share

0 Comment(s)
Comments: Show | Hide

Here are the most recent story comments.View All

The views expressed here do not necessarily represent those of KOKI FOX23 - Tulsa

No comments yet!
FOX23 Weather Center
Feels Like: 68°
High: 83° | Low: 49°
Partly Cloudy
Top Stories
Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
Mobile advertising for this site is available on Local Ad Buy.