Heat appliance suspected in deadly Tulsa fire

Story Comments Share

Updated: 1/18/2013 10:31 am Published: 1/17/2013 11:07 pm

Firefighters have narrowed down their search for evidence leading to a house fire that killed an elderly man on Monday night.

"I tried to dial 911 but I heard the fire trucks already so I hung up,” said Wand Gult.

She lives across the street from Kenneth Horton, 72, who was found unresponsive in his kitchen in the 1600 block of E. Newton Street on Monday night.

Three things indicate the fire started because of a heat issue. Since Christmas, Tulsa firefighters say they have fought 30 fires related to heat appliances.

Before firefighters arrived to his home in northwest Tulsa, neighbors didn’t know there was a fire until the flames nearly reached the street.

"I had seen big flames coming out of the windows," said Jaymee Gult.

Horton’s brother spoke to FOX23 News and says his brother was an Air Force Veteran and had heart problems and a was diagnosed with stage-4 lung cancer in October.

Investigators say they found papers stacked around a space heater, his oxygen tanks near the heater and an overloaded extension cord.

They recommend you keep space heaters or other heating appliances away from walls, drapes and keep combustibles and flammable items away from space heaters.

Also do not leave candles unattended.

"I still can’t believe it. I wake up every morning and look at the house and its just a shell and it's devastating,” said Wanda Gult.

Also check the batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide alarms.

Funeral arrangements for Mr. Horton are still pending.

Story Comments Share

1 Comment(s)
Comments: Show | Hide

Here are the most recent story comments.View All

The views expressed here do not necessarily represent those of KOKI FOX23 - Tulsa

Mayor Maynot - 1/18/2013 1:29 AM
0 Votes
I hear ya on th heat issue. Chilly tonight I just stuck a dog under the blanket. :p good boy. qp
FOX23 Weather Center
Feels Like: 71°
High: 82° | Low: 48°
Most Popular
Top Stories
Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
Mobile advertising for this site is available on Local Ad Buy.