Halloween candy can be deadly for pets


Story Comments Share

Updated: 10/30/2012 9:23 am Published: 10/29/2012 5:40 pm


Many parents encourage their children to be careful eating their Halloween candy and treats, but a Tulsa veterinarian says pet owners need to be just as vigilant when it comes to keeping their animal safe around trick-or-treating season.

Dr. Rodney Robards, a Tulsa Vet, says dog owners need to be especially careful of chocolate that children might bring home.

“You want to stay away from chocolate. That's probably the most important candy that kids get that can be toxic to dogs; just a small amount can be toxic,” Dr. Robards said.

He says it’s important to make sure children throw away their wrappers and trash. Dogs and cats small those items and often eat them based on the lingering scent of the candy. They can cause serious obstructions in an animal’s intestinal tract. Often times, costly surgery is required to remove the trash lodged in the animal.

Dr. Robards says already this year he has had to do several surgeries to remove candy, toys, and wrappers that a dog has eaten.

Keeping your pet out of the operating room is easy; Robards says the best way to insure that your pet stays safe around Halloween is to store candy in a high place away from where your dogs crate, bed, or food is kept.

Also, be aware that candy is more dangerous for smaller dogs, because a lesser amount is needed to cause serious health repercussions.


Story Comments Share

0 Comment(s)
Comments: Show | Hide

Here are the most recent story comments.View All

The views expressed here do not necessarily represent those of KOKI FOX23 - Tulsa

No comments yet!
FOX23 Weather Center
75°
Feels Like: 75°
High: 81° | Low: 55°
Mostly Cloudy
Top Stories
Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
Mobile advertising for this site is available on Local Ad Buy.