|Updated: 10/25/2013 10:53 pm
||Published: 10/25/2013 10:39 pm
Contractors are working overtime to clear out the smoke, ash and damage left behind by Friday's fire.
The fire damaged a bathroom and left a lot of smoke and paint damage on the building. This building was recently renovated to become a new downtown club, Area 18. The club owner even had planned to have a Zombie Ball this weekend.
"It's kind of disappointing because we were planning on opening this Saturday night."
Now general manager Shannon Mendenhall has a busy weekend ahead of him,
"I hope to have the bathroom put together by Sunday and have everything repainted and we're going to try and get the club cleaned up and get all the smoke off everything," he said.
He's not sure why someone would want to hurt the business before it even opens, but he's grateful help was nearby when someone sparked the blaze.
Shannon realizes just how lucky he is because his entire club could have burned down, but thankfully Fire Station No. 5 sits right across the street.
What hurts the most is the financial hit he is taking.
"It's quite a few thousand dollars worth of damage. I probably would say 15,000, or 20, of construction and cleanup that we've got to do."
The club had scheduled a soft opening on Saturday with a large party and then another one on Monday before next Thursday's grand opening on Halloween.
This weekend's party will now be delayed as crews work to repair the damage.
"When you're trying to create a new business, every dollar counts and it gets really tight," Mendenhall said.
He says his goal is to work overtime and still have the grand opening next Thursday.
Mendenhall says he's had a lot of people offer to help, including donating materials and their time.
To check out this club, or donate your time to help them repair, it's located in downtown Tulsa at 18th and Boston, called Area 18.