Fire destroys man's trophy business


Story Comments Share

Reported by: Sharon Phillips
Updated: 11/27/2013 5:19 pm Published: 11/27/2013 3:57 pm


It's a difficult time for a Jenks business owner to give thanks, after his business caught fire Wednesday morning.

The fire tore through an engraving building near 111th and Elwood.

Calvin Mefford was shopping at Lowe's when he got a frantic call from his wife saying his business that sits right behind his house was on fire.

Thick black smoke could be seen for miles.

"I could see it all the way from 71st Street at Tulsa Hills," said Mefford.

Mefford raced home to find his trophy engraving building on fire.

"I had three engraving machines that I use in my trophy business and then I had four antique vehicles that I had on the other side," he said.

He said he and his wife have lived on the property for 40 years and saw a need in the market that they could fill.

"We were in horse shows, and trophies were so expensive and so we started the trophy shop," he said.

Now he's out thousands of dollars in equipment; his antique cars are smoke and ash.

He's not even sure if insurance can help him now.

"I know we just changed into a different company and I think there was some on it but it wouldn't be enough to replace even one of the engraving machines that I had," he said.

As Mefford watched his business go up in smoke, firefighters were having a difficult time getting water on the fire.

"We had some problems with our water supply. We hit a hydrant down at the corner of 117th and the hydrant seemed to be dead, but we did actually get it to work after a little while," said Captain Keith Gillette with the Jenks Fire Department.

Crews had to run their water hoses about half a mile away to another hydrant. They were able to keep the fire contained, and kept it from spreading into the woods and beyond.

"I'm just glad that my wife and everybody are fine..." said Mefford.

Firefighters aren't clear on the cause was but they are investigating some brush that may have been burning near that building when the fire started.


Story Comments Share

1 Comment(s)
Comments: Show | Hide

Here are the most recent story comments.View All

The views expressed here do not necessarily represent those of KOKI FOX23 - Tulsa

Mayor Maynot - 11/27/2013 7:24 PM
0 Votes
So sad that the coverage that he applied for won't cover his loss. Still count your blessing gs the fire didn't destroy your residence.
FOX23 Weather Center
81°
Feels Like: 81°
High: 84° | Low: 49°
Partly Cloudy
Most Popular
Children found living inside meth lab operation;12 arrested
ROGERS COUNTY, Okla. -- Small children were found living in a meth lab operation. Now, a dozen people are behind bars. FOX23's Morgan Downing spoke exclusively with sheriff's investigators about what they found on a rural Rogers County ranch. Video Watch This Video
Top Stories
Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
Mobile advertising for this site is available on Local Ad Buy.