Fire breaks out in a Tulsa furniture store

Story Comments Share

Reported by: Preston Jones
Updated: 12/25/2013 3:18 pm Published: 12/25/2013 3:10 pm

Cleanup continues after a fire broke out in a north Tulsa upholstery and furniture store just after 4 a.m. Wednesday at Hewitt's Furniture Specialties. 

An investigator was called to the scene but the chief said the fire likely started from something he sees far too often. 

"It looks like we had some upholstery bundles stored too close an infrared heater, and that might be our cause at this time. We have no indications of anything suspicious or anything," said Chief Benny Herring, Tulsa Fire Department.

Firefighters got on the scene and saw smoke billowing from the back of the building. There were two businesses that operate out of the building, a furniture store and an upholstery shop.

Eight fire engines and more than a dozen firefighters were called out and the chief said they got the fire out pretty quickly. The intersection was forced to close for about two hours. Luckily, no one was hurt or inside the building at the time of the fire. The chief said it all could have been a lot worse and people at home need to be careful.

"We do see a lot of space heaters misused at this time, or too close to bedding or furniture. I would say watch your space heaters, and more than that I would say get a smoke detector," said Herring.

The Tulsa Fire Department said if you need a smoke detector and can't afford one you can get one for free by calling them and firefighters will even install it for you.

Story Comments Share

1 Comment(s)
Comments: Show | Hide

Here are the most recent story comments.View All

The views expressed here do not necessarily represent those of KOKI FOX23 - Tulsa

Mayor Maynot - 12/25/2013 4:43 PM
0 Votes
Fire alarms are pretty good devices as long as you can hear them. Deaf at Highland Park apartments nearly didn't make it due to their disability. Maybe something that shakes the room like my stereo.
FOX23 Weather Center
Feels Like: 54°
High: 67° | Low: 41°
Top Stories
Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
Mobile advertising for this site is available on Local Ad Buy.