|Updated: 1/02 5:07 pm
||Published: 1/02 5:06 pm
More than 40 years of living has been cut short in one moment.
FOX23 reported on Wednesday that a New Year's Eve fire destroyed a Sapulpa woman's home.
FOX23's Frank Wiley learned accepting change, and help, has become tougher than the loss.
Gail Smith lived in the now-destroyed trailer for more than 40 years.
Until a fire started and she couldn't stop it.
"She come outta that bathroom with a bowl of water, run toward the refrigerator and throwing water on it," said her son-in-law, Ed Girkin.
He said his mother-in-law has a lot of pride and she doesn't like cameras.
Girkin rescued her from the burning home.
"She said, 'Turn me loose, so I don't fall on those steps' and 'Let me go and I'll walk down them steps,'" he said. "Tears just streaming down her face. She wasn't even making a sound. I had to look at her to see she was crying," he said.
Firefighters believe the fire started with Gail Smith's refrigerator.
What's left reminds her daughter in-law, Ruth Smith, of what she's lost.
"We had a trailer and it burnt to the ground, but we had insurance," she said.
It happened nearly two years ago in the Creek County Wildfires.
"We replaced the trailer with something better, so it worked out," she said.
Her testimony is now reason to believe the problem could never be bigger than her solution.
"I said, 'God will help you and he means to help you,'" she said.
FOX23 spoke to Gail Smith off-camera. She's living with family down the road from her former home. The family told FOX23 she insists on having her own place.
The family said they're working on setting up a donation account in Gail Smith's name.