|Updated: 2/06 11:12 am
||Published: 2/06 2:43 am
An apartment fire at the 4100 Apartments near 41st Street and Peoria Avenue broke out just after 2:00am in Midtown. The fire Chief Jeremy Moore said the call came out as a kitchen fire on the second floor but it quickly spread to the attic and other units.
More than 50 firefighters spent most of the morning fighting the blaze. Firefighters also had to bring in hazmat crews for extra manpower. At one point, the chief said the fire was so big they had to take a defensive approach in combating the flames.
The chief said their first priority was getting everyone in the buildings out safely. A few dozen people living in the apartments were evacuated. None of them were injured during the fire but one was taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation. Some residents worked to help others get to safety.
“Our crews found a family on the balcony, had to rescue that crew, made aggressive interior attack at first, got everyone out of the structure, so we don't have any civilian or firefighter injuries at this time,” said Moore.
FOX23 spoke to one resident who said he reported smelling a strong smell of bleach to the apartment manager overnight. He also said he heard a loud sound 4 hours later just before he saw smoke and flames outside of his front door. He had to escape through his window.
“Very thankful because I'm a little heavy and it was pretty hard to try to climb through that window,” said Johnny Harris. “I was probably going to have to make a mad dash on my face to out of there so it’s comforting to know that somebody looked out and saw I was trying to get out.”
The displaced residents were placed in a bus and taken to a local restaurant to stay warm. The American Red Cross is helping those displaced in finding a place to stay.