Claremore standoff comes to an end after hours

Story Comments Share

Reported by: Price McKeon
Updated: 2/22 10:37 pm Published: 2/22 10:19 pm

CLAREMORE, Okla. - Two people are in the Rogers County jail tonight following a nearly six-hour standoff in a Claremore neighborhood.
FOX23 was first on the scene, where we found out this originally started as a home break-in.

Saturday night police have arrested Candace Marshall and Samuel Lee Elmer Mathew Smalley.

Our FOX23 team was in Claremore getting exclusive video of one of the arrests.

Claremore police were patrolling a Rogers County neighborhood Saturday because there have been a number of active burglaries in a particular area.

That’s when an officer, Guy Singer, noticed someone was at a house that shouldn't have been.

Claremore resident Chris Hinkle gave FOX23 a video of what he saw when he looked out his back door Saturday morning.

Claremore police told FOX23 it was normal day, patrolling neighborhoods looking for suspicious activity.

“I just happened to get lucky and walk up on someone coming out of the house and I knew no one was supposed to be in the house,” said Singer.

Claremore police say the man that lives in the home used in Saturday’s standoff, is in jail.

Police told FOX23 two people took the house over by breaking in.

One of the two standoff suspects cooperated quickly and came out, but after two hours the other man inside didn't.

“Due to the nature of his mental state the meth and the possibly being armed we had Tulsa SWAT assist us,” said Singer.

Most neighbors saw Tulsa police cars lining the streets and a SWAT armored vehicle outside the house. But some had a close up view.

The family that lives at a neighboring house told FOX23 that Tulsa snipers were standing on their deck out back, aiming into the house over the fence with the standoff suspect inside.

“I really never would ever thought there’d a SWAT team right here on the back porch ready to take out somebody beside the house right behind mine,” said Hinkle.

But they were, and police kept screaming for a Mathew to come out. “Mathew come out, Mathew come out,” TPD SWAT and Claremore officers said repeatedly.

FOX23’s cameras were rolling when the man called Mathew did surrender, walking out of the house with his hands in the air.

“Of course I’m always sitting there thinking OK if shots are really fired how safe am I in the house,” Hinkle told FOX23.
We heard and counted 18 booms during the standoff.

Claremore police told us those were tear gas canisters being thrown into the house.

Police say no one was injured.

Both Marshall and Smalley were booked into the Rogers County jail.

Stay with FOX23 as more details continue to unfold.

Story Comments Share

0 Comment(s)
Comments: Show | Hide

Here are the most recent story comments.View All

The views expressed here do not necessarily represent those of KOKI FOX23 - Tulsa

No comments yet!
FOX23 Weather Center
Feels Like: 60°
High: 76° | Low: 59°
Partly Cloudy
Top Stories
Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
Mobile advertising for this site is available on Local Ad Buy.